Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Poems

I love poetry and Ive been waiting to read some all semester. I love it because its like a puzzle or mystery. The poem is never what it appears to be saying on the surface it has and hidden message and or deeper meaning and love hunting for it... My favorite out of the poems was Wheatelys because her messages was so complex I knew exactly what she was saying but every time i tried to make myself explain it more would come from her words and it was one big cluttered mess in my head that I had to unravel. In class Smith told us to look at the word Sable and I interpreted at first glace she is just saying black race but go deeper and Sable is the color of mourning and heartache. African American people have been given nothing but heartache and Wheatley balances that

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you are liking these poems. They are sort of like puzzle and many different ways to interepret them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite was Wheatley's too! It was so amazing and I did the same thing as you with finding more and more meaning as I looked into! It was so amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the same thing about poetry! It is a lot of fun to pick apart and figure out the hidden meaning behind each and every word. For such a short poem it holds a tall meaning.

    ReplyDelete